Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Lawyer with 19 years of litigation experience in state and federal court systems.

my daughter was getting married in april. the groom called

my daughter was getting married in april. the groom called off the wedding. i spent fifteen thousand dollars to date all non refundable. in new york state , is the groom responsiblefor any reinbursment to me?
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately, the groom has no privity of contract with you. As a result, it would be difficult to come up with a theory under which a recovery would be possible unless you had an agreement that he would contribute to those costs. If not, you gracious efforts would be considered a gift.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles, but, in the long run, calling off the marriage may have been less expensive than a divorce.