Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Lawyer with 19 years of litigation experience in state and federal court systems.

i have received a Certificate of Legality certifying that i

Customer Question

i have received a Certificate of Legality certifying that i am the legal benificiary of a fund which is in Brussels. If i scan and send you a copy can you confirm or ortherwise if it is authentic

G Farrell
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 6 years ago.

There is no such thing as a fast buck. I do not need to review the email to tell you it is a common scam. Millions of emails are sent each day from such scammers to email accounts harvested from the internet. These email accounts are sent messages telling them any number of things from - (1) you have won a lottery (that you never entered); (2) you have inherited from someone (that you never knew); (3) that they want you to be an intermediary to collect business funds since they are an overseas company and need a bank account in the US for rapid processing; or (4) you are the beneficiary of some fund.

The scam can have a number of methods for gaining money. The operator on the other end: (1) may indicate that they need some processing fee to send you the money; (2) may send you what looks like a certified check asking you to return a portion of the money for a processing fee or some other reason. After you send the money, you find that the check is a fake and bounces; (3) may seek to acquire bank account or credit card information.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that nobody contacts you over the internet when you have never met them, never applied to the contest, lottery, or never knew of the fund, that is legitimate. I am afraid, in the context of such emails, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Edited by Lawmoe on 2/11/2010 at 5:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will you take a look at the certificate
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 6 years ago.
I am afraid that is beyond the scope of this site. I am also confident that it is a scam since there is no such thing as a Certificate of Legality. It is a document that they concocted.