SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

How do I open a bank account for a church without using an

How do I open a bank account for a church without using an EIN or a SSN?
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

You are not going to be able to open account without one of the two? Why do you not want to open the account using the Church's EIN?

Thanks,

Michael
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The church is not incorporated and does not have 501c3 status. According to IRS Publication 557, churches are tax exempt without the need of filing for that status. Another citing of that is IRS Code 508(c)(1)(A).
Yes, I understand that.

The church does not need to have 501c3 status to get an EIN number. As a matter of fact, you need an EIN before you can file for 501c3. All you need is an EIN to open a bank account.

Hope this helps,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. What do I need to get an EIN though?

Follow this link to www.irs.gov to read about the EIN process and apply for one online.

Good luck!

Regards,

Michael