How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 101607
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how to write my complaint letter to the Michigan bar assoc. I

This answer was rated:

how to write my complaint letter to the Michigan bar assoc.

I need to know how to write my complaint letter to the Michigan Bar Association, I have documents to back up my case as well as 12 witness that my attorney did not even ask for or had any questions prepared to ask them. My attorney did not prepare for this case. Because of this I lost custody of my son even though I did nothing wrong in taking excellent loving care of him. As a parent, I am a good role model for him as well. My lawyer should have rescheduled my court hearing when we did not get information regarding the case in a timely manner for reviewing and investigation. My son was devastated when he found out that he had to live with his mother and still is very devastated. He is desperately crying for help to reverse this travesty. Pleased help me to follow the right guidelines for filing a complaint letter to the bar. I need help in reporting the fact that my attorney did not do his job or fight for my having full

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

How long has it been since the hearing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

September 28, 2008, I did hire another attorney within ten days from this case to open this case again due the the attorneys failure to do his job.

Good, then I will bypass the "file a Motion for New Trial" bit, since you already know this.Two things:1) file a grievance with the MI State Bar here: bar ethics board will investigate and he may lose his license or have it suspended, and he'll likely be made to pay back at least part of the money.Two. You need to threaten litigation, or actually sue. Let me explain.
Lawsuits are made up of causes of action, in other words, to file suit, you need a cause of action (at least one).

You can file multiple causes of action together. All causes of action have different elements you have to satisfy. For example, “negligence” is proven if there is (1) a duty owned to Plaintiff and (2) the Defendant breached that duty.

It takes too long to explain all elements of each cause of action, but from my knowledge, you have a lawsuit for the following causes of action: negligence and legal misrepresentation.

Some elements of the causes of action different by state due to different evolution of local law, but they are generally nearly identical.

If the hearing is by Judge (“bench trial”), the Judge decides. If the hearing is by Jury (“jury trial”), a majority of the Jury has to decide towards one way. Although a lawsuit is automatically set up to be heard as a bench trial, either party can request a jury trial. Defendants usually prefer a jury trial since it’s harder to convince a few minds, rather than one.

In the end, the Judge or Jury that decides whether or not the elements for each of the causes of action were satisfied, and if so, what damages are needed to rectify the situation. Note that if you win, you may also get your legal fees and attorney fees tagged unto the award.

Know, however, that 85% of such cases are resolved with a stern demand letter from your attorney and perhaps a draft petition included with it. That usually scared them to make a deal to avoid litigation. When you hire an attorney, make sure to hire them on a contingency basis, i.e. they don't get paid unless you do (usually about 33%, or 40% if reward is from trial). I can help you find an attorney in your area who specializes in these kinds of matters if you'd like.

Best of luck in your matter! I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info. I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to be paid for my work. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions