Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

I rent a storage unit in a big storage building. Is it illegal

I rent a storage unit in a big storage building. Is it illegal for my girlfriend and i to go inside our rented storage unit and engage in quiet sex? She sais it is illegal, I say it isn't because it is an extension of our home, and it is not in public. In case it matters, we live in Louisiana?
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

Indecent exposure is a crime that is defined as exposing one's genitals or socially deemed "private parts" (such as behind or breasts) in a public place where others are present and may witness the act.

So since you are in an enclosed, non-public space, it would not apply.

You could not be charged with sex in public as you are not in an area normally exposed to the public and have a "reasonable expectation of privacy".

I do not see any violation here as long as the unit is closed off from the public view.

I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. If the information given answered your question, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.