How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31566
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a father is eligible for ssi,and he is divorced{mother has

This answer was rated:

If a father is eligible for ssi,and he is divorced{mother has primary care of children}does she get any of the ssi benefits for her children?
If a parent's only income is SSI, that parent cannot be forced to pay child support. Some courts may still enter a child support order, but will not enforce that order. Generally, however, a court should not enter a child support order against a parent whose only income is SSI. The Child Support Guidelines specifically say that SSI is not counted as income on the child support worksheet. By definition, someone who is getting SSI is unable to work because to be eligible for SSI you must be unable to work.
Roger and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The father has always had a job,home,and has always been physically and legally responsable for his daughter.The Mother is always kidnapping the daughter(every 6 months"approximatley"and moves just as often and is very unstable.She could work if she wants to ,but choses not to.
Understood. There are several people that are extremely happy with just getting by on SSI or some other government pay and not working. However, so long as she is collecting SSI, she is protected from having to pay child support.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is not onssi,she gets welfare and food stamps because she is a druggie and goes to AAA and Na meetings,so they pay for her free ride!My son does not want anything from her but to be a good mother and keep her safe and get her to where she needs to be.

Your son could try to terminate the mother's parental rights to the children if she is a bad influence on them or doesn't have anything to do with them.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He would be happy with her having visitationwith her every other weekend and home by 7:30p.m,if there were no sleepovers.I think that all children should stay in touch with the other parent if they are monitored.I think with or without is emotionally rough!
He can request this as well. In order to get the matter before the court, he will need to file a petition to modify custody and visitation and ask the court for these arrangements.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks ,I just needed to realize i'm not the only one who thinks there still hope.I was starting to get that its all about the mother and making money.It should be about the child!!!!!!!
You are absolutely right and you're not alone. The judge is going to have the exact same attitude! It is the judge's job to do what is in the child's best interest - botXXXXX XXXXXne.
Roger and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you