Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

When I hear the term academic honesty I think of not cheating

Customer Question

When I hear the term academic honesty I think of not cheating on your assignments. I also think you should be honest when you do your work. Make sure you give the proper credit for information. Knowing the difference between common knowledge, original ideas, and plagiarism helps you in being honest because you would know where to put your citations and references. I think you do not need to cite any sources if it is common knowledge. Failing the assignment, getting kicked out of the class, getting a failing grade, and getting kicked out of the school are all consequences of not being honest.
Expert:  Anne replied 4 years ago.
Did you have a question you wanted an attorney to respond to?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i need this question anwered
Expert:  Anne replied 4 years ago.

This is what I see in your post, "When I hear the term academic honesty I think of not cheating on your assignments. I also think you should be honest when you do your work. Make sure you give the proper credit for information. Knowing the difference between common knowledge, original ideas, and plagiarism helps you in being honest because you would know where to put your citations and references. I think you do not need to cite any sources if it is common knowledge. Failing the assignment, getting kicked out of the class, getting a failing grade, and getting kicked out of the school are all consequences of not being honest."

There isn't a question there. Perhaps something got cut off from your question?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What do you think of when you hear the term academic honesty? How does knowing the difference among original ideas, common knowledge, and plagiarism help you stay honest when you write an academic paper? What are some of the consequences of not being academically honest?

Expert:  Anne replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry for the delay in responding to you.

The is because the term "academic honesty" in and of itself does not have an application for attorneys beyond law school or scholarly articles. As a practical matter, though, it is absolutely essential that a practicing attorney writing law and motion to properly attribute each and every legal source used in support of an argument (statute, case law, etc.) and properly cite to all evidence used in an argument (declarations, documents, etc.) in his or her pleading papers. If we don't rigorously base our arguments on valid legal authority, we lose.

If you are asking this because of a school assignment, please let me know so I can send your question to the proper JustAnswer category.