Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My daughter reported her car stolen Saturday to the police.

My daughter reported her car stolen Saturday to the police. I notified my insurance company. The car was located Sun. evening, she drove it to a friends place, telling the police eveything was ok. She told me around 5:00 PM on Monday. I called the insurance company around 1:30 PM on Tuesday (the insurance person doing this case had said she would be in after lunch) and left a message that it had been recovered. I called the police around 4:00 PM on Tuesday to find out what the status was, at that time I found out my daughter had "driven" the car Sunday after locating it, told the police she didn't want to pusue it any further, and had given me the wrong case number. I left a message on the insurance persons phone about all of the above. Am I in trouble for filing this with the insurance company.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

No. It's not a false claim and the insurance company has not paid anything out and has likely expended very little money on the claim.

The insurance company should be grateful that the car was recovered and it does not have to pay a claim for a new car!