Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I had surgery in April 2007. Two months ago, I got a call

I had surgery in April 2007. Two months ago, I got a call from United Surgical Assistants (USA). They said that I owed $4760.00 for the Surgical Assist Charge for the surgery. I received a check from my insurance company at the time for the charge. I asked the surgeon the address of the assistant so I could mail it. He said not to worry about it to just wait till I got a bill from him. I waited and didn't get a bill and I forgot about it. My insurance company called me and said they wanted to give me a heads up that a company was wanting a copy of the statement of benefits for the surgery. How can I be sure that this company has authority to collect for this Doctor? I cannot find him listed anywhere.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

You should contact the doctor's office and ask someone in the accounting/billing department who does his/her bill collecting. If it is this company, you will have your answer.

You could also ask the collection company for documentation authorizing it to collect on behalf of the doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I explained previously that I cannot locate the doctor.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
Understood. That's why I also stated that you can ask the collection company to provide documentation that it has authority to collect for this doctor.