Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am a liscensed massage therapist and a nurse practitioner.

I am a liscensed massage therapist and a nurse practitioner. I have a private practice where I see people for musculotherapy and mind-body, stress management counseling. I have been seeing a client for both interventions separately; massage in person and phone sessions for stress management counseling. This client is involved in litigation related to an accident 5 years ago. If i am subpeonad for my records regarding her massage therapy treatments ( I know another of her practitionershas just received a subpeone for records) and the counseling work is not specified in the subpeona, can I copy only those notes that pertain to her massage treatments and not include the notes on the counseling sessions? My records include both kinds of session notes on the same page. How can I give them one without the other?

It depends on what they ask for. If the document request/subpoena is for medical records, no. However, if the request includes a demand for psychotherapy notes, you would have to produce them as well.