Lawdoctor
Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Experience:  22+ years legal practice including corporate, business, criminal, entertainment and litigation
14932443

My husband owes Chase for credit cards and car loan.But he

My husband owes Chase for credit cards and car loan.But he lost his job last year and has not been able to pay. Chase took $500. from our acct in Oct so we closed it But I still have an account in my name(the cards and loan were all before we got married) Will they try to take money out of my account even though his name is XXXXX XXXXX it? Please Help!
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 4 years ago.
Dear Customer:

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

Your question is very important to me, but please remember that I can only respond to the information you provide and I do not know your entire situation. My response is limited to what you have written to me and the answer may change with additional facts.

Also, due to site reasons, there are times I am initially only able to see a portion of post, so I apologize in advance if it means that you have to duplicate information.

There may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. Now, let’s address your question!

The short answer is change banks. If you have an account with Chase and your husband owes money, they are not supposed to be able to take your account, but you never know if you sighed a cross collateral agreement at anytime, so I would not take a chance and open an account with another bank. Before you close you Chase, open the account with the new bank just in case they put a bad mark on your credit due to your husband. If they did, get a denial from the new bank in writing and then sue the devil out of Chase. There are many good attorneys in your area that would love this case.

I wish you the best.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.
If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be off line. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My account was set up before I got married to my hubby. Also I recently filed my taxes and had them do direct deposit in my account. It is due to be deposited on Friday. So what should I do? Thanks for your time and Info:)

Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 4 years ago.
If you were not listed on his account and they don't have a cross reference to your social security number and his, then you should be okay, but as soon as the tax refund comes in, I would not take any chances. I have seen so many questions on the site about this same thing where the big banks are just playing cowboy and doing what ever they want to do with people's accounts. I would not take the chance and change banks.

If Chase has put a negative on your banking references due to your husband's problem, then you need to seek representation for this defamation and illegal activity.

I wish you the best.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure what you mean by cross reference? Could they have that if we had an acct together at one time or??? I am so sorry to keep replying I am just worried sick right now. Yes as soon as it comes we already planned on taking it right out. Thanks again
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 4 years ago.
It is not a problem, I know how stressful and scary this type of thing can be. Banks are notorious for pulling stunts and I don't want you to be a victim.

It is called cross collateralization. Banks use it to pull funds from one account to cover a shortfall in another account. If you and your husband had an joint account with Chase at one time, they may try this, however, it is not legal unless you agreed to it. Since the card was in his name only, you are not responsible for his debt, however, they may try to take it and then dare you to fight them. If they took from your husband's account over a month ago and did not touch any of yours, you are probably safe. I would pull as much out of the account tomorrow until the refund comes through and then close it.

Again, open an account elsewhere as soon as you can.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I keep this account open only because my children receive social security survivors benefits monthly. On the third every month $1,200. I know they definetely can't touch that. We are currently working with Legal Aid community service in our town. They said nobody can touch social security or unemployment which are our only 2 sources of income right now. However the tax return should come friday I am wondering If I can take it out fast enough before they try. But again I keep it open only for SSI purpose. Please let me know what to do. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 4 years ago.
Withdraw it as soon as it comes in. I would also change the SSI payments as soon as possible since they can take it as they please and then force you to try to get it back. I would withdraw it in cash if possible.

If they have not touched your account before now, I doubt that they will. There is nothing you can do until the deposit comes in, so the only thing you can do is to watch your account on line and withdraw the money as soon as it hits. Other than that, worrying is not going to do anything but make you lose sleep!

Take care

If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be offline. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Experience: 22+ years legal practice including corporate, business, criminal, entertainment and litigation