Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

i have been married for 18 years in Hawaii, we signed a prenup

Customer Question

i have been married for 18 years in Hawaii, we signed a prenup before we were married. how long is it in effect?
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

A pre-nup is a contract and, like any other contract, it is binding for as long as it states that it is in effect. If no time limitation is given, then it is presumed to be binding for the duration of the marriage.

Having said that, pre-nup agreements are not always rock solid, there may be some legal issue or theory to get you out of the pre-nup, if that is what you desire. It would be wise to speak with a family law attorney in your area to thoroughly discuss the pre-nup and what CAN be enforced and what can NOT be enforced.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.