JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

Can I leaglly tape a conversation with my attorney if I tell

Customer Question

Can I leaglly tape a conversation with my attorney if I tell him I am doing it? He keeps pressuring me to take a very low settlement so we do not go to court. Everytime I say I do not want to take it he pretty much tells me (after almost 2 years) he is going to drop me because I am not listening to him. Is that legal?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Taping the conversation in CA would not be prudent for the reasons outlined here:

If you and your attorney do not agree on strategy, yes, the attorney can drop you as a client. There is nothing wrong or illegal about that.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide whether or not to accept the settlement. It's important to understand the "why" part of the attorney's recommendation. Before making your decision on to settle or not, you really need to make sure that your decision is an informed one and that you understand the logistical risks of going to trial.

On a wrongful termination case, if the settlement is only $20K and assuming that the attorney will only get 1/3 and the attorney is suggesting that you take it, that suggests to me that there's a problem in the case and you are at risk of getting zero at trial. Really take the time to understand why your attorney believes that a problem has developed in the case (don't focus on the money, focus on understanding the problem in the case before you make your decision).

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!