Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

Can I ask my landlord to subsidize my electric bill if the

Customer Question

Can I ask my landlord to subsidize my electric bill if the apartment is too cold?
The apartment is solely dependent on individual electric heater units inside the apartment and the electric bills are too high (above $100 for a small studio) to maintain 68 degrees. My contract does indicate that I am responsible for electric and other utilities, but I was not fully aware that heat would cost me this much.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
You can make the request but it is just that, and not legally binding on landlord
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Isn't she required to provide heat to apartment under the CIty Housing Maintenance Code and State Multiple Dwelling Law? My appartment would be under 55 degrees fahrenheit if I don't turn on the heater...

I didnt appreciate that the landlord was failing in this regard. If that is the case, tenant can press the landlord to remedy the problem at landlord expense or else file a complaint in housing court or call 311.