INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

Im being sued by midland funding for a credit card I had in

I'm being sued by midland funding for a credit card I had in the past. They've filed suit in Ohio, where I no longer live. Is there a way I can stop the proceeding, based on the fact it's far removed from my place of residence? From what I understand about this organization, is that they typically buy junk debt and I should challenge them to provide information to prove that I owe the debt.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
If you have no assets there you could not oppose it and they would merely have a default judgment. You could hire a lawyer there to defend or move to dismiss but that costs money. if you owe the debt, consider working out a settlement. Often they will settle for a fraction since work on volume and contingency fee basis.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was hoping to find something out specific to the suit taking place far removed from my place of residence, and the fair debt collection act. I believe they are in violoation of section 808. I thought I could get it thrown out on that alone, although they would at that time have the option to refile in FL.
They can sue at last known address but to sue where you are not located and have no assets, would mean nothing to the creditor. It would need to sue you in your state.