Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

What is the legality of detox facilities That is, facilities

What is the legality of detox facilities? That is, facilities (that are private institutions) that police officers take you to if you have more than the legal limit of alcohol in your bloodstream.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Could you narrow your question down a bit--what exactly do you wish to know about the facilities?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was brought there against my own will by a police officer. I was completely compliant. I was not charged with any crime. The detox facility wants to charge me $122. I don't want to pay it. If I broke a law, or was charged with a crime, then I can understand.

Something just feels wrong about the legality of a private institution that is allowed to detain citizens. I'm just curious, that if I decide to fight the charge against this private institution, do I have a chance of winning? Or, do most municipalities have laws designed to protect such facilities.

Thank you for your question.

Since you utilized their services, even if possibly against your consent, you are required to pay for that service. You can definitely try to fight the bill, but you will fail as it can be easily proven that you did utilize the facility when you were under suspicion of being under the influence. This is akin to being taken to a hospital for an injury--even if you did not consent or could not consent, the hospital is still free to charge you for whatever assistance you were rendered.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 2/1/2010 at 2:26 AM EST
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.