JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

I was let go from my job cause of not giving good customer

I was let go from my job cause of not giving good customer service! I never had a complain about me! But I have other co worker who been call for racist remark to other co worker and bad customer and he still there! I feel I was single out
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Can you please clarify what your question is that you would like assistance with?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been fired from Homedepot for not giving my attenton for customer! But I feel that I was not a proper issue! And I have other co work who has done alot far worst and favorist at my job and I am women and minority and I have a co worker that is male racist and customer complain! And he got send to another department is it fair?
What proof do you have that you were treated differently because of your gender and/or race?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Because co worker is still there I was left go because not helping my customer which is not true never got a complaining! And the also said I was in the interment on company time an I was not following up! I one of hhere best seller? I think I was let go for the wrong reason! The have to prove that I was not helping customer at the time!
Do you have a written employment agreement or contract with Home Depot?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No
The facts you describe suggest that you were an at-will employee.

This means that you could quit your job at any time and there's nothing your employer could do about it.

That also means the reverse is true: your employer could terminate you at any time and for any reason (so long as it wasn't because of your race, age, gender, disability, national origin, religion, military veteran status, etc.) and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it.

An employer may dismiss an employee at any time for any reason; a good reason, a bad reason, or for no reason at all.

Now, does that seem to be unfair or unjust? You bet it does. However, it is not illegal. That is the very nature of "at-will" employment. You serve "at the will" (or whim?) of the employer.

Of course different people can disagree as to whether or not the punishment fit the alleged wrong in your situation. But, because you're an at-will employee, your employer doesn't have to even go there. They could have fired you because they didn't like which hand you used to lift your coffee cup. They could have fired you because they didn't like the shade of green socks you wore to work. They could do this because you were an "at-will" employee.

Now, if you can prove that you were discharged because of your race and/or gender, then you can file a complaint with your local EEOC office which can be found here: http://www.eeoc.gov/field/philadelphia/

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful in better understanding where you stand and why. I also hope that you find this answer to be ACCEPTable!