socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have beeen married for 17 years.I owned a business before

Customer Question

I have beeen married for 17 years.I owned a business before I was married and my wife was never involved in it or was a owner of record.Does she have any right to my company in a divorce.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

In Joynt v. Joynt, 874 N.E.2d 916, 375 Ill.App.3d 817, 314 Ill.Dec. 551 (Ill.App. Dist.3 08/16/2007), the Third District Appellate Cour stated:

• The touchstone of whether apportionment of marital property was proper is whether it is equitable in nature; each case resting on its own facts. In re Marriage of Scoville, 233 Ill. App. 3d 746 (1992). An equitable division of property does not require mathematical equality. In re Marriage of Gentry, 188 Ill. App. 3d 372 (1989). Section 503 of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (Act) (750 ILCS 5/101 et seq. 2004)) lists certain factors to consider, including: (1) the value of the property assigned to each spouse; (2) the duration of the marriage; (3) the relevant economic circumstances of each spouse; (4) the age, health, station and occupation of each spouse; (5) the custodial provision for any children; and (6) the reasonable opportunity of each spouse for future acquisition of capital assets and income. 750 ILCS 5/503(d) (West 2004). Absent an abuse of discretion, this court will not disturb the trial court's distribution of assets. In re Marriage of Kerber, 215 Ill. App. 3d 248 (1991).

In the same ruling, the court found that retained earnings of a business in which the spouse engaged in no entreprenurial effort was not marital property, because the rest of the marital estate was distributed fairly by the court. Thus, the question of whether or not your separate business is not marital property is somewhat irrelevant, because the court can rule "around" the problem.

I realize that this is definitely not what you wanted to read, but you may as well know now, that you cannot simply segregate your business off as nonmarital property so as to avoid having it considered in your divorce.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.