legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
4622441

mandatory seven day work week. I am a salaried employee and

Customer Question

mandatory seven day work week. I am a salaried employee and was told that I now have to work seven days a week or the forseeable future. Is this legal in pa
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is legal if you are an exempt employee under the Fair Labor
Standards Act (FLSA). Most salaried employees are exempt so the employer is not required to pay overtime so they can require you to work 7 days without any additional pay. But if the hours you work divided into your salary cause you to be paid less than minimum wage then that is illegal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not actually looking to be paid for my time. I just want to know if I can refuse without being terminated for not working seven days in a row.
Unfortunately no. As long as you are not in a profession such as medicine, long haul trucking, where the law requires day off for rest, the employer can require you to work 7 days a week and if you refuse then you can be terminated.