Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
18695994

I was asked to renew my lease for this past year 3 months prior

I was asked to renew my lease for this past year 3 months prior to the lease end date. However, since then, i have cold air blowing in instead of heat, my appliances do not work properly, the sinks/shower are constantly backing up, and I had a wild animal trapped in my wall on a saturday and the real estate company could not provide emergency extermination services and then refused to allow me to deduct the cost of the exterminator from my rent. Is this cause for terminating my lease early?
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 years ago.

In this weather, the failure to provide heat is a major violation of the landlord's obligation. The other things you mentioned sound like problems that have existed for a while. I suggest you get the entire list together to the landlord and send it with a demand that the problems be remedied in a short period of time. Make clear that if they are not you will consider it a breach of the lease and will take steps to relocate immediately rather than at the end of the lease. I have assumed that you have not agreed to renew the lease.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, i agreed to renew the lease 3 months ago when asked to do so but these were not issues then. Can i still write a certified letter stating these items and saying that it will be breach of contract and terminate the renewed lease early if they are not fixed?

Yes you can but rather than just leave if they are not repaired, you can take the landlord to court and seek a declaratory judgment that you can terminate the lease without penalty.