LegalEase
LegalEase, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in Family law, Wills and Estate Planning
15144571

someone is sueing me for $7.000 can i settle out of court

Expert:  LegalEase replied 7 years ago.
If they've already sued you, you need to make some sort of response, or they may get what is called a "judgment by default." That means that they win and get a court order that forces you to pay them back. If you respond, and appear in court when requestd, you can still try to work it out outside of the courtroom by mediation. Since they have put the wheels in motion for a court proceeding, you cannot just ignore the court papers now. You can't be arrested, but they can get a judgment against you and enforce it by putting liens on your property, or other methods of enforcement.

Do not send any payments to them before you have worked out a legal agreement saying that they will not pursue any further legal action if you comply with the repayment plan, and you have evidence that they have dropped the suit against you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

do you think i can work with them myself or should i get a lawer

Expert:  LegalEase replied 7 years ago.
I'd have a lawyer look over the papers to make sure you haven't missed any pertinent deadlines. Depending on how long ago they sent you those papers, they may already have a judgment against you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you.you have been a big help yo me