JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

Can I sue my HOA and property mgr for sharing information about

Can I sue my HOA and property mgr for sharing information about me with a neighbor I formally complained about (for harassment and feeling threaten)? I requested a hearing meeting with the HOA and the only people in attendance were the HOA mbrs, my party and the property mgr. Several issues were brought up from the formal complaint letter I wrote, about my puppy, my neighbor, feeling targeted and discriminated and etc. A few days later after the mtg, that neighbor knocked on my door and said the property mgr called him and asked him to check up on me and monitor to see if I still had the puppy on the premise. He gave specific details of what was said in the meeting. Is that violating my privacy and confidentiality? Does my neighbor even have the right to monitor what goes on in my home?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Residents have zero rights of privacy on matters that occur within an HOA hearing/meeting. There are zero rights of privacy with respect to complaint letters. Anyone who can see or travel by your house has a right to look into your yard.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh. Ok. So my property manager had the right to ask the neighbor I complained about to check up on me? Especially if I told her I felt harassed and threaten by him?
Yes, there was nothing illegal about the property manager asking a neighbor to check up on you. Unprofessional? Perhaps. Against the law? No.
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.