Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
18695994

in california, what child-related expenses (day-care, school

Customer Question

in california, what child-related expenses (day-care, school tuition) are not covered by child support?
Submitted: 6 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.

Child support deals with the totality of the cost of supporting the child. Generally the cost of supporting the child is split between the parents. As the non custodial parent does not deal with housing, food and all the things that accompany having a person live with you, the custodial parent's contribution is taken into account in the provision of these things. The non custodial parent's contribution is added to what the court considers the funds required to support the child.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
your answer was an oblique response to my specific question; I found it misleading because of its non-specific language. The court will, in certain conditions, add the cost of child care to the child support calculated by the standard formula. A visit to the two sites below, one providing a court "Child Support Information and Order Attachment" from a ca.gov site, supports this conclusion. I think the answer provided is not worth the $38 charge, but rather a minimal or zero charge is appropriate.
  • http://www.dadsrights.org/california-child-support.php
"you may find that your California child support award takes into account only:
  • How much you earn
  • How much your ex earns
  • How many children you have; and
  • What percentage of time the children are under each parent's care and control
  • "exceptions to the above rule include the cost of child care if it is required during the custodial parent's work hours,"
    • http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/search.htm
    Form FL 342, "Child Support Information and Order Attachment" is consistent with the above; item 6b lists the condition described above for adding child support costs in the above condition.

Your question was what child related expenses were not covered by child support. My answer indicated that there are no child expenses that are not designed to be covered by child support. The information you found related to how child support is determined, a much different question. So my answer was responsive to your question, I just missed the true thrust of your inquiry.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I had hoped for less than a legalistic response. Less so, and less legally put, your argument is essentially that it is a silly question because all child costs are covered by child support. And I should pay for this?

It is clear that child care is added to child support in special conditions (and the result, yes still child support). That such is the case is material.

The mens rights website highlights this fact in the few lines devoted to reviewing child support, and the court award form draws attention to the need for the court to make a decision on this point.
    I have opted out so another expert can help you.