AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

My supervisor, has threatened to take away mine as well as

My supervisor, has threatened to take away mine as well as a few others hours.
Because we were drinking the night before, and 1 of the members didnt come to work the next day. Now she is planning to punish all of us. Can she do this legally?
Submitted: 6 years ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Please Note: Your deposit will not be applied to this question unless you click accept. JustAnswer provides me with absolutely no compensation. I receive no salary or hourly wage from JustAnswer. I receive nothing at all for my time spent responding to your question unless you click accept. Your gratuity is appreciated.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

Unless there is an employment contract or company policy to the contrary, an employer can reduce an employee's hours or terminate an employee for any reason or no reason at all, including going out drinking the previous night.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that Iowa recognizes a duty of good faith and fair dealing in at-will employment, meaning this would be of little help to you.

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

If you need additional clarification of this response, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to clarify.

Sincerely,
T

_____________________________________

Please click the green Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in the state for which this information is provided. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should seek a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at http://www.lawyers.com or http://www.martindale.com.