Juliana
Juliana, Attorney
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney
17008935

my car was broken into on the 29th of december, and the guy

my car was broken into on the 29th of december, and the guy got away with my canon rebel t1i ($700+) that i had just bought for college, my purse, wallet, my brothers new laptop ($1500) his assault pack ($150) my ipod nano ($200) his phone, and several other things.
i called the police and filed a report, and everything else i had to do. gave serial numbers to every item stolen. they found the guy that stole everything, turns out he had broken into 40-50 vehicles from christmas to january 19th and had stolen two cars.
the officers said that it could be three or more months before i get my things back because it's evidence, but i'm moving out of state next month and i will have no way of getting down to oklahoma before they sell everything in an auction.

so my question is,
if i dont press charges can i get my things back?
Expert:  Juliana replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and former prosecutor, and I will be happy to assist you with your question.

When the police seize evidence, it is typically held until the case has been resolved one way or the other. A case can be resolved through trial, plea, or dismissal. The district attorney will decide when the evidence can be released. If you inform the district attorney that you don't wish to cooperate in the filing of charges against the defendant, your items should be returned to you. However, this is at the sole discretion of the district attorney. If I were you, I would call the district attorney's office ASAP and discuss the matter with him/her. Explain that you will be moving out of state, and will be unable to return at a later date to pick up your items. It is likely that he/she will release the items to you, particularly since you are not the only victim involved in this matter. If 40-50 other victims are involved, there is likely plenty of other evidence that can be used against the defendant if the case ever goes to trial, so your items won't be crucial to proving charges against the defendant.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Juliana

Juliana, Attorney
Experience: 23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney