Thanks for using JustAnswer.com
Do you have JOINT PHYSICAL custody, joint legal custody, or both?
Have you filed a motion to stop her from taking your child to St. Thomas before?
When is spring break?
You need to file an Emergency Motion for Change of Custody or in the Alternative to Enjoin (your ex) From Taking Minor Child out of State. It needs to be filed as any other motion, using the same format.
In order to be successful in such a motion, you need to show a substantial change in circumstance such that your child is in danger.
1. The parties in this action were divorced on xx,xx, 200x.
2. The parties in this action have one minor child, (name) (d/o/b).
3. The parties have joint physical/legal custody of the minor child.
4. It has come to my attention that it is the intent of (name of ex) to take the minor child out of the country to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, on xxxxx.
5. (name of x) has many ties to St. Thomas, including many family members (name them). (name of x ) and the minor child will stay with (names) during the time they are in St. Thomas.
6. The family members of (name of x) have been involved in the manufacturing of illegal controlled substances.
7. The DEA has confirmed the above information. Put in any FACTS that you have to support this, including any police reports, DEA reports, etc.
8. (name of ex) has taken the minor child to St. Thomas against this Court's orders in the past. -- put in facts surrounding your past motion, the judges admonishment of her--etc. If you have a transcript, attach it as exhibit A.
9. Due to the ongoing illegal activity occurring at xxxxxx, I am extremely concerned for my child's safety. As this court is aware, weapons are often associated with the drug trade. Weapons are in the possession of (names of family members) and my child will be in extreme danger if s/he is allowed to travel to St. Thomas.
10. Due to (conversations, activities, actions, etc.) I am convinced that (name of x) has no intention to return the minor child to the continental United States.
WHEREFORE, I request that this Court grant my Emergency Motion for Change or Custody or in the Alternative to Enjoin (name of x) from taking the minor child to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands and grant such other relief as is necessary and just.
Add any facts to support your claim within the body of the motion and any exhibits that you may have.
When you file the motion, ask that it be given the status of an Emergency Motion. Ask that the Judge either hear the motion ex parte (without a hearing) or allow notice to your ex to be shortened so that the hearing can be held ASAP. Make sure that you serve your ex and file a proof of service.
I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).