LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Is there a statute of limitations on medical bills, for a deceased

Is there a statute of limitations on medical bills, for a deceased spouse?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 years ago.
There is a 6 year statute of limitation in NJ. If the debt was his alone, they would have had to go after the estate and make a claim, to pay the debt. The time to do so, would have passed. If you signed for the debt and are responsible for it, then they could collect on it. If you cant pay a lump sum, try and work out a payment plan with them
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When my spouse was admitted I had power of attorney to sign for him. He had been in the hospital for 180 days and could not write. Does that count as me signing for the debt?
It is possible. You should tell them he has passed away and see what their response is. While you had the power to act for him, you may not be bound for the bill. You need to read what you wrote and see what obligation it said the signer would have.