Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

How do I get something expunged from my driving record or

How do I get something expunged from my driving record or MVR?
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.
Duplicate question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I received a ticket that I thought was just an ordinance violation. The officer said it wouldn't show on my mvr. Sure enough its on my mvr and Im trying to have it removed or expunged
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

What was the ticket for?

How was it resolved?

Do you have any other offenses?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was for a no left turn ticket in between the hours 4pm to 6pm. That happened in 2008. I received a speeding ticket in June 2007.
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information, I'll be back with you in a bit.

Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

Based on the information you've provided, it seems clear that this was, in fact, a traffic violation and NOT a municipal ordinance violation. Unfortunately, it would be better for you if it were the other way around.

The State of Illinois permits an expungement of a municipal ordinance when the person, "not having previously been convicted of any criminal offense or municipal ordinance violation, charged with a violation of a municipal ordinance or a felony or misdemeanor, is acquitted or released without being convicted." So, if this were a municipal ordinance violation, it seems you would be eligible for an expungement.

Unfortunately, Illinois, like most states, does not permit a person to have tickets removed from their record after a conviction.