Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

How much can my paycheck be garnished in Washington state

Customer Question

How much can my paycheck be garnished in Washington state???
Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Garnishment is allowed under RCW 6.27.005. It is limited to greater of 25% of disposable earnings or thirty times the federal minimum wage. RCW 6.27.150 and 6.27.010.This almost always ends up being the 25% here of disposable earnings.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, no matter what the debt amount is... It will always be 25%?? I believe my debt is around $700.00, and I make about $950.00 every two weeks... What would that come out to be bi-weekly?? Also, can they garnish my checking account?? Once garnishment begins, will they pre-warn me first??? Is there anyway o getting out of garnishment, if I can't pay the total up front??? Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX your quick response... This collector has given me 48 hrs. to get ahold of her... What will happen once I do??
Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
$475---178 each check(25%).They can levy your bank account for entire debt so be careful there.You need to operate on cash basis and stash cash or hide it in someone elses name and social.You should have notice of garnishment hearing here,I woudl contact them it can't hurt here.