lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney

Is it illegal for someone else to use my address as their

Customer Question

Is it illegal for someone else to use my address as their own
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Yes unless you give them permission. What is the problem?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husbands ex uses our address periodically. She has never resided here and yet maail comes here in her name. I've tried notifying the post office, the companies who the mail is from, returning the mail, and nothing seems to work. Most recently she received a piece of mail regarding my step son's (her son) student loans. What can be done?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
He can notify her in writing to not use his address. However as the parent he is entitled to receive information regarding his son and that may have simply been a copy. Since this is a family issue law enforcement is not going to get involved. The best solution is to simply return the mail unopened.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No he has nothing to do with college or the loans. She has kept him from his kids for years so thats not the case. Not to mention there are numerous other companies that she has given this address too, such as using it for her auto insurance! What can be done??
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Again he needs to advise her in writing not to use the address and than any such mail will be returned unopened. In your situation that is all that can be done without taking her to court but the written notification needs to be done first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I love how she's able to do whatever she wants and nothing can ever be done? It is illegal? or not?