Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

How much would it cost in West Virginia to legally change your

How much would it cost in West Virginia to legally change your last name?
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

In WV, you need to fill out the Petition for Name Change, pay a $145 fee to the court and file the form. Then you have to publish notice in the newspaper once within 10 days of the hearing. A hearing will be scheduled where a judge will confirm your reasons for the name change. As long as you are not doing it to evade law enforcement or avoid creditors, it should be approved.

Free Instructions and sample packet (if your county is different, you can change it) or you can purchase the blank form online for about $10.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This would occur in Nicholas county and I was trying to determine if you need to hire an actual lawyer to do this or not. AND, if so, what the lawyer price range fee is. From your answer, it SOUNDS like we don't really need to hire a lawyer. Is that true?

Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

Yes, that is correct, you do not need to pay an attorney do file this for you. Just follow the instructions as they are the same statewide. Only the county changes (and possibly the filing fee).

I hope you have a better understanding of your question as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption.