JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

Can a repossession person knock on your door early in the morning

Can a repossession person knock on your door early in the morning (2am) to repossess your car and ask for the keys to drive it away because his tow truck is not big enough to tow the vehicle? I refused. I ask that they use a flat bed truck. I did not want him driving the truck because he wanted to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was a nice H2 Hummer.

I initially thought someone was trying to steal my vehicle.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

The acts of the repo person, as you described, were not illegal. The law does not restrict the hours in which they can come and take autos. They simply cannot "disturb the peace."

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What if, after I refuse to give them the key, they call the police and tell the police that I had a gun... And the police come with loud speakers telling me to come out of the house with my hands up. I had called the police too to verify they were actually repo men; not having the proper equipment. I was humiliated.

There is nothing to prevent them from calling the police.

It's interesting that the police tried to order you out of the house. Technically, you did not have to leave your house.

While the event is embarrassing (I'm not sure who else is up at 2 a.m.), it's not illegal.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The police ordered me out of the house, and searched it. Thank you.

From the facts that you describe, you did not have to leave the house. Yes, the police could ask you to get out of your house -- but you could have refused and they would have had to get a warrant. As for the search, I wasn't there. The repo man can't be blamed for a possible illegal search. That's an issue you have to take up with the chain of command in the police department.