xavierjd
xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
14261217

can a probation officer find out if you fly on a commercial

can a probation officer find out if you fly on a commercial airline?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

The short answer is NO. The probation officer would have no personal access to that information. For example, the probation officer couldn't pick up the phone and call Northwest Airlines. However, the probation officer could be left to his imagination to find out whether you traveled. Someone may call and snitch on you.

If you are asked during probation, either orally or in writing, to disclose whether you have traveled and/or whether you have flown out of state, you are obligated to answer truthfully.

But......the probation officer could NOT independently find out whether you flew on a commercial airline.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can they call the airline if they think i am planning to fly and tell them i am on probation and be alerted if i attempt to?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.

How would he know the airline, the day, the time, etc.?

Unless he knew these things, how else could he find out?

If you are believed to be a threat to national security, and there is credible information, I guess the probation officer could call Homeland Security and it would have to conduct their own investigation. But that wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with your prob ation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they do know the airline and flight information due to someone telling them. I in turn told them i wasn't going to go, and i'm just trying to figure out if they will be able to know if i do go and get on the flight. i am not a threat of any kind, only on probation for worthless checks.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.

If the probation officer already knows, he could call the airline. Privacy laws MAY prohibit him from obtaining the information. However, if you leave the state, and it is confirmed, you may be violated and a warrant issued for your arrest.

You will also be asked at your next visit about any travel. You MUST be truthful. Lying to the probation officer will get you violated and you would have a high liklihood of doing jail time.

If your travel is NECESSARY, you can ask for a travel permit for the time that you are going to be gone. The probation officer may issue the permit, or recommend that the judge sign the permit. If your travel is valid, you are MUCH better off asking the probation officer for a permit. Then there will be NO chance of you having problems.

xavierjd, Attorney
Experience: 20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims