Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My sisters employer has decreased evryones hours, but told

My sister's employer has decreased evryone's hours, but told them they are not eligible for unemployment insurance? Her hours ere decreased from 40/wk to 24/wk
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

That is incorrect. An Employee is defined by the Employment Security Commission of North Carolina as "A full-time or part-time worker as defined under common law rules for determining employer-employee relationships." Therefore, she IS eligible for benefits. She can estimate the underemployment amount she would get (and file) at the link below: the employer is simply mislead in his own understanding, or is misleading the employees - we do not know - but she is eligible, and should apply if needs to.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”