Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I am suing a local car dealership for the cost to repair my

Customer Question

I am suing a local car dealership for the cost to repair my car, becuase they failed to do so under warrarny. I went to court today and becuase I did not have a copy of the warranty(but all other paperwork), the judge would not listen to my case. And he is charging me $300.00 for the gentlemans time that came to represent the car company, which I think is grossly unfair. However, he is reschdueling my case.

My question is, that I am only suing for the cost of the repair. Becuase of this I was with out my car for almost a month, so for the next time I go to court can I now inclde the cost of my time that was wasted by the dealership?

Thank you, Noel
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Noel - YES. If you win, your damages may include: cost of covering the breach caused by the other party (or the estimate of it, if has not been done yet), attorney fees, filing fees, and time missed off work due to the case. So YES. Note - be able to prove each one of these damages by an affidavit, a letter, an estimate, etc. The Judge will want to see something more than just your word. But in essence the rule of thumb is - they are responsible for the whole time you lost due to the case.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”