Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I broke a lease by 16 days. I got a doctors note I am sick

Customer Question

I broke a lease by 16 days. I got a doctors note I am sick and cant work. So I had to move. They charged me for the 16 days out of my security deposit. 1951.2 and 1951.4 are there break lease codes. I have Crohns and can not work my temp disability ran out and am fighting permnament disability. So I am truly sick and gave them proof. Do I have a good case to fight for my money back for the 16 days? I live in Ventura, CA Thank you.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

I'll be honest - no. Personal disability, i.e. inability to earn income does NOT release you from your contract. It's not fair, but it's the law right now. Your best bet is to come to some kind of an agreement with a amount that is not the full thing if they agree not to litigate. Also keep in mind, even if they get a judgment, collection is a whole another matter. Also, if the apartment was really bad, i.e. hard to live in due to landlord negligence, you may have an out - let me know if that was the case.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”