Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

I am looking to buy a business. What kind of lawyer would I

I am looking to buy a business. What kind of lawyer would I seek in order to get and assess financial information/viability of the prospective business?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.

Hello there:

what is the nature of the business that you are considering for purchase?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure exactly what kind of business. I have been looking at small restaurants, bars, and delis with video poker machines.

Hello again:

the type of attorney that you would want to consult would depend heavily on the type of business that you are considering for purchase. For example, if you are interested in purchasing a franchise, you would absolutely need to consult with an attorney experienced with franchise agreements (franchise law is extremely bizarre from the attorney's perspective... under a franchise contract, the parties agree to and bargain for things that would be unthinkable in any other contractual situation). However, I would recommend that your first contact be with an attorney who's area of practice is in business litigation. Any business law attorney who is worth his proverbial salt will have at least a strong understanding of business valuation and viability, and will have contacts in the legal community if it is appropriate to refer you to an attorney in a highly specialized area of practice.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.