Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been a renter at my complex for over 12 years. I originally

Customer Question

I have been a renter at my complex for over 12 years. I originally signed a one year lease, since then I have been on a month to month. Today 12/31/2009 I came home from work to discover an envelope on my door step from my landlord. On the envelope he had written for me to sign the lease, keep the copy, and return it to him. It is a one year lease and it states the my rent is being raised to $1250.00 per month effective 1-1-2010. I had already written out my rent check and I dropped it off to him then I went out for the evening. When I returned he had returned my check in an envelope and had written that the rent was now $1250.00 and for me to sign the lease. I wrote a note stating that I believe he needed to give me at least a 30 day written notice before he could raise my rent and that I wanted to have an attorney look at the lease before I signed anything and gave him back my original rent check.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

In Florida, the law requires a FIFTEEN DAY notice to for a landlord to increase the rent on a month by month basis. So your payment WAS valid. He needs to give you a proper 15 days notice beforehand.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”