Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My husband informed me that he wanted a divorce last night

Customer Question

My husband informed me that he wanted a divorce last night and while I was gone running errands today, he came home and packed his belongings and left without a note, a phone call, and I have no knowledge of his wherabouts. I am unemployed and desperately trying to go to nursing school at Mountain State University. I still have two teenage children at home that are his step children. We have been together for 10 years, but only married for three years. I have worked throughout the these years helping support our family until I was laid off April 28, 2009. He is a superintendent at a coal mine making over $100,000.00 a year and he left us without a dime to our name. I need to know what steps I need to take to protect myself and my family because he left me with nothing. Everything is in his name-even the bank accounts that he closed out today before I even got home. Please direct me to do what is best and right for myself and the kids I still have to support.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

Hi there:

Have you been served with divorce papers? Also, I realize that he has "vanished", but could you find him if you needed to... such as at his work?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I have not been served with any divorce or legal separation papers yet. I may be able to reach him at work, however, the office may have been informed by him to tell me that he isn't there. I have called all of his friends and they swear they do not know where he is and they haven't heard from him either. His father called here today asking to talk to my husband so that tells me that he hasn't even told his family. I've tried all the local hotels and even went to search through the parking lots of the hotels for his Tahoe. I cannot find him anywhere and even with numerous phone messages left on his cell phone from me, there is still no word.