Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

I live in a mobile home park. I was to have fixed lot rent

I live in a mobile home park. I was to have fixed lot rent until June 2011 as stated in my written lease. The owners sold the mobile home park. The new owner is increasing my lot rent immediately. Are my only choices to either pay the rent or move? I live in Indiana.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.

Hi there:

Unless the tenant lives in subsidized housing or in a local jurisdiction that has rent control, a landlord can raise rent on any tenant except if it violates a lease agreement.

When a property changes hands from one owner to another, the new owner gains only those rights that the prior owner had. If the prior owner was bound by a lease contract, the new owner would be bound as well. (Note: if the new owner is actually going to move into the property and live there, the laws are different.)

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.