How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask lwpat Your Own Question

lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25386
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my mother recented passed and named one of my brothers and

Customer Question

my mother recented passed and named one of my brothers and i as succesor trustees -- in the documents, it says that we need to accept in writing. Is there a specific form to use? also, since she has various assets -stocks, bonds, cds, etc... although the will says to liquidate and distribute, do we have the right to hold onto some assets or reissue shares -- divide equally per the trust note? also are there any court mandated filings other than the tax filings (accounting) documents that we're aware of? Thanks...
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

I am sorry about your mother. When you say successor trustees - do you mean your mother was living off the trust? Or do you mean you are the BENEFICIARIES of her will? And if so, who is the EXECUTOR - the person in the will appointed to do everything?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Eli --

there was a revocable living trust.. my brother and I are named as the successor trustees and the will states that we liquidate and distribute the estate equally among the four siblings after a few specific bequests..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
I am going to opt out of your answer and let another expert opt in to help you. No need to respond to this message. Additionally, you do not have to stay online – your question will remain active and an email will be sent to you as soon an expert answers it. My apologies for the inconvenience. You have not been charged. Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks... I'll follow up locally as I have not heard from anyone even after I relisted.
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Here it sounds like everything has been taken care of except the house. Since this is real propety there are deeds in the name of the trust. You need to fill out and file in the counties where the real estate is located a form similar to the following

Notice of Substitution of Trustee

The undersigned beneficiaries hereby appoints ___________ _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________ as successor trustees under the trust deed executed by ____________________ as trustee, and recorded ________________, _____, in _________________ county in book or docket _________________, page ______________, and legally describing the trust property as:

(legal description of trust property)

The successor trustees appointed herein qualifies as a trustee of the trust deed and are authorized to act in the trustee's capacity of the _________ Trust and to have all the powers of the original trustee, effective immediately.

Dated this _______________ day of ________________, ____.






You can wait and file this when you transfer the property and also file the death certificate. As trustees you have the authority but you should consult the beneficiaries and I always recommend that you get written approval.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Wayne --


Thanks for reply... looks similar to what we received from local attorney contacted by friend. Unfortunately, we had bank meeting at 9am yesterday morning so since I didn't get response from Eli and hadn't used this site before... when I answered, I guess it went back into the pipeline.


Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience...

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.