MD MILLS, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted in Washington and before the USPTO. Civil litigation, real estate, transactional, and IP.

I applied for Long Term Care Insurance and was denied because

Customer Question

I applied for Long Term Care Insurance and was denied because my "height to weight ratio" falls outside their guidelines for insurability. I was wondering if this was true and legal. The company was Prudential and i am obese. thank you
Expert:  MD MILLS replied 6 years ago.
Yes it is legal. Insurance companies can make business decisions about who to insure based on almost any reason other than purely constitutionally protected classes like race, religion, etc.
Pennsylvania has some additional rules regarding what questions can or can't be asked for underwriting decisions, see, for example, this statute.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX still feel it is lousy especially since i will be paying a hefty premium to carry the insurance.