socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

what is the penaltyfor depositing unearned income into an IRA

Customer Question

what is the penaltyfor depositing unearned income into an IRA account?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

As long as you report the contributions as nondeductable on Form 8606, there's no penalty.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just completed IRS Form 8606 and it looks like I have taxable income to report due to this error and a 10% penalty because I am under 59 1/2.

That's only if you take the money out again. You didn't say anything about that in your question.