Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am a widow who was going through a divorce when my ex husband

Customer Question

I am a widow who was going through a divorce when my ex husband died. I don't get along with my father-in-law but I have tried to make sure my son calls his grandfather. This christmas I allowed my son who is 11 to visit with his granddad. When my son returned he was upset and told me that is granddad asked him to live with him when he turned 12. I'm in Texas and he is in Minnesota. I don't want to cause problems but I have a problem with my ex in-law going behind my back and upsetting my son. I don't want to keep my son separated from his grandparent but I'm afraid of what he may do or try to do. Should I be concerned? I don't have any problems with my parenting skills and my son is fed, goes to school and is clean ect.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Grandparent could seek custody here.I am not sure he has grounds to prevail but it is a possibility.Certainly you should rethink visitation in light of grandparent here.By limiting grand parent you make it harder for him to get custody in this matter.Its your call but I can understand why you would choose to do so.