Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) IOWA In

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IOWA

In the last three weeks, I have been feeling very depressed. I have walked myself into the emergency room three times expressing suicidal ideations. After three or four hours, a psychiatric nurse spends ten minutes with me, and sends me home. The fourth time I was in the Intensive Care Unit due to a near fatal overdose of toxic medications. From there, I was sent home as well. Is something wrong with how the medical "professionals" handled this situation? Couldn't my attempt have been prevented by paying better attention to the amount of times I reached out to them? Or is that just the way it is... ?
Expert:  Sam replied 6 years ago.

well, it is possible that better medical attention should have been provided. malpractice is based on the standard of care. and if you feel they were negligent in that standard of care during the first 3 visits and that contributed to your overdose then you should consult with a local attorney to evaluate a possible lawsuit.

i am sorry you are not feeling well. you might also consider a visit to a mental health therapist who can also determine if you should have been kept in the hospital longer. of course, a visit with a local attorney could get you a referral to a mental health professional for an evaluation to see if you would have merit for a lawsuit.

hope you feel better in 2010