Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.

What is the mandatory minimum sentance for fedural inmates

What is the mandatory minimum sentance for fedural inmates.
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

hi

are you seeking the MMS on a specific crime? if so, what crime?

- or do you want to know what the MMS is in general?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes just the mms on fedural inmates .In general.
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

hi

a MMS can be imposed on certain crimes. it means, that the judge has no discretion in handing out a sentence. certain crimes carry MMS and therefore, the judge must impose, at least, that minimum.

in essence, mandatory minimums transfer sentencing power from the court to the

prosecution.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

\

ok can you tell me how many days or monthe is in the sentance,

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

hi

i think what you want to know about is "good conduct" credits which help reduce a sentence by a certain amount of days each month

the US Code 18, section 3624(b) provides that a prisoner who is serving a term of imprisonment of more than 1 year other than a term of imprisonment for the duration of the prisoner's life, may receive credit toward the service of the prisoner's sentence, beyond the time served, of up to 54 days at the end of each year of the prisoner's term of imprisonment, beginning at the end of the first year of the term, subject to

determination by the Bureau of Prisons that, during that year, the prisoner has displayed

exemplary compliance with institutional disciplinary regulations.

however, a maximum of 47 days of good time for each year of the sentence imposed is granted - and under the Prison Litigation Reform Act, prisoners convicted after April 26, 1996 and how much good time they may receive depends on whether they have earned or are pursuing a GED or high school diploma and if the prisoner has earned or has made satisfactory progress toward earning a GED or high school diploma, he can get a maximum of 54 days good time credit on each year served.

and, if the prisoner has not earned or has not made satisfactory progress toward earning a GED or high school diploma, he can get a maximum of 42 days good time credit on each year served.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK. BUT FOR FEDURAL INMATES~ IS THERE A MMS?OR HOW ABOUT IS THERE A LAW THAT FEDURAL INMATES HAVE TO SERVE 65% OR 95% OF THERE SENTANCE?iF U CAN ANSWER EITHER OR THAT WOULD BE GREAT .THANKS.

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

hi

thank you. yes. there is such a law as they try to make the federal parole board obsolete. currently, it is about 85 percent of the sentence.

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.