If we are thinking of firing an employee that has worked for

If we are thinking of firing an employee that has worked for us for 12 years how much warning and notice does she need to be given. She will be fired for poor work performance.
Expert:  NYLAWLADY replied 6 years ago.
If you are firing for cause and she doesn't have a contract which states otherwise, then no notice at all. If you tell her it is for poor performance, you should make sure that you have all the documentation because she may come back with a wrongful dicharge suit. However if she is an employee at will, meaning that she doesn't have a contract or isn't in a union, you don't have to give a reason. Her problem will come if she goes to collect unemployment which will be denied if she was fire for cause.

Is there anything else I can help you with? Thank you for allowing me to help you with your question. Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated .This answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Nor is an attorney-client relationship established. Thank you very much.