JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

Planned a wedding at a catering hall for 190 people @ $80 a

Planned a wedding at a catering hall for 190 people @ $80 a head on a Saturday. Weather and a Delaware State Of Emergency caused a 110 people not to attend reception. Catering Hall won't give any type of real refund(They offered$500) or our unused food (They cleaned out the freezers first thing Monday morning, They have 4 other halls so they probably used our food elsewhere). I don't see anything in our contract about this. Is it worth contacting an attorney?

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

The facts that you describe suggest a possible "Act of God" and, unless you had any langage in the contract saying that you were entitled to a refund in the event of an Act of God, you have no legal recourse for a refund.

As frustrating as it is, the most you can probably hope for is the $500 they were offering you. I know that hindsight is 20/20 but this is one reason some people buy wedding insurance -- you just never know what can happen!

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not what I wanted to hear!!! LOL But thank you and I will accept.__Jesse
You are welcome. I so understand your frustration. You should have seen what it was like for the wedding industry during the great blackout several years ago. What a mess!