How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19085
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can a credit card company get a judgement against you without

Resolved Question:

can a credit card company get a judgement against you without notifing you of court date, also credit card debt over 7 years old?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
They can do it if they claim that they attempted service on you, but couldn't obtain it.

Then they could get a default judgment and the fact that statute of limitations is done is a defense, but you have to raise a's not automatic.

So, what you need to do is make a motion to vacate the judgment because you never received proper service on the claim AND because you have a specific defense to the claim (the statute of limitations).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the attorneys that filed the judgement notified my via mail that they had recieved it. it is the first time i have heard anything from them ever, do i need an attorney to file to vacate judgement or can i do it at the courthouse. i did not recieve any notice via registered mail, regular mail or summons service. I am not even sure how old the debt is I know that i have not had any credit cards since 2001 after my husbands death.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I'm sorry that this has happened. It happened as I told you. They obtained a default judgment against you by claiming to be unable to reach you.

You must hire an attorney to file a motion to vacate the default judgment and to raise your defense of the statute of limitations. This is your only recourse with a default judgment.
Allen M., Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you