Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

Hi, I have two small apartment building complexes in PA (Coatesville

Customer Question

Hi, I have two small apartment building complexes in PA (Coatesville and Columbia). I was wondering how long does a landlord legally have after a snow or ice fall, to clear and salt the area without being held for liability? Usually I am out there working on it as soon as it stops, but I feel it is very draining trying to be available when the last 'fall' stops, especially if I am at work and need to rush home. If it stopped accumulation at 6am and someone came outside and fell at 10am, would it be my negligence? Thanks
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, yes you would liable for the fall because a reasonable opportunity was given (4 hours) for the snow/ice to be cleared. There really isn't a cutoff, but there is a standard of reasonableness under the circumstances.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry.... I guess I was thinking there would be a little more information given to the answer aside from basically a 'yes' or 'no' sentence. I never used this before and was wrong in thinking it was a little more 'thorough'. I am sorry for using your time
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
I will opt out, perhaps another Expert will provide the detailed information you seek. From your question I was unaware that you wanted caselaw and/or statutory reference.
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

Does it state in the lease who is responsible for snow removal?

I hope you have a better understanding of your question as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption.